Friday, January 07, 2005

The map is not the territory.

The map is not the territory.
&
The word is not the thing.

How often do we think we know someone or something when in reality all we know is what the thing or person is called. What does it mean to really know someone or something? If I had a map of the world what would I really know. The names of countries, their basic shapes, sizes and realative locations. I might also know see a representation of where water is located. If the map has contour lines I might see the general rise and fall of the land. Even the most detailed computer based map that allows me to zoom in repeatedly really only shows me the names of features. "The map is not the territory" The map does not let me smell the sea breeze as it moves across my face. The map does not let me feel the bone chilling cold of an artic evening. The map does not let me see the peoples and there living conditions. I think you get my point.

Saying it is not the same as doing it.

How often do we say we want to weigh less, be smarter, be physically or spiritually stronger, however, just saying it does not make it reality. My weight is dependent on my diet, physical activity and genetics. I can control 2 of those factors. I can say "I weigh less than last year!" but unless I have changed the factors within my control or some event outside of my control has intervened I doubt I an speaking the truth.

Just something to think about.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home