Saturday, January 28, 2006

Annointing With Oil

"How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else." - Buckminster Fuller

Anointing with oil is referred to on several occassions in both the old and new testaments. Specifically in the book of James (ch5 v14) in the New Testament anointing with oil by the elders of a church is described as a way to help the sick. I have considered this action more of an act of faith than anything else but I just read an article that states reasearchers at Monell Chemical Senses Center may have discovered a compound (oleocanthal) in olive oil that is similar to ibuprofen. I only make this comment as a caution to myself against readily dismissing acts in the bible as being devoid of scientific or physical reality.

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger jcallahan said...

I remember watching a show about the miracles in the Bible and how that they were physically possible. I guess it is nice when there is some explanation, but when is a miracle just a miracle? To me, having a physical explanation seems to be saying that it really isn't God doing it. It could have just happened.

I don't say these things to take away from your post. I understand that in the case of the oil, it had some purpose other than just a vehicle for faith (which is pretty cool). Even water baptism while cleaning the heart, does have a physical effect in cleaning up someone who may not have had a bath recently (in Jesus' days).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home