Tuesday, January 02, 2007

President Gerald R. Ford (1913-2006)

"A government big enough to give you everthing you want is a government big enough to take everything you have." - President Ford

"I am acutely aware that you have not elected me as your President by your ballots, so I ask you to confirm me with your prayers." - President Ford


As our nation mourns the loss of the 38th President, Gerald R. Ford, I find myself thinking back to what I actually remember concerning the man and his presidency. I was 11 years old and living in Pensacola, Fl when President Ford assumed office on August 9, 1974, in the aftermath of President Nixon's resignation over the Watergate scandal. I actually remember very little and what I do remember is more like vague images rather than specific details. I remember how the Watergate scandal consumed the news I watched and that because of that issue President Nixon resigned. I remember President Ford being made fun of by television talk shows and comedians because he once stumbled while exiting Air Force One. I remember President Ford taking swift military action against the Khmer Rouge of Cambodia for the seizure of the container ship the SS Mayaguez. I remember the controversy when he pardoned President Nixon from the Watergate charges and I remember his loss to President Jimmy Carter in 1976.

As an adult I appreciate more what President Ford's presidency meant for our nation in the context of the time. In the midst of political scandal, criminal activity, the war in Vietnam and a really poor economy our form of government worked. There was not a coup d'etat but a relatively smooth transition of power and control guided by our Constitution and implemented by our elected officials. To read more about President Ford check out his Libraries website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home