Friday, September 25, 2009

Scanning.....scanning....scanning....

"Every man's memory is his private literature." - Aldous Huxley
.
"Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us." ~Oscar Wilde
.
Well, a month or so ago I started scanning my 35mm prints as well as other formats. I am about 3/4's the way through my second of ten albums and have come up with a few thoughts on the subject of scanning old photos.
.
Positives
-Names, dates and locations written on the back of prints.
-Memories, each picture is like opening a present. Never knowing what to expect.
-Google's Picasa
-Chronological order (actually order in general for me personally)
-Other people who can fill in missing bits of information.
.
Negatives
-The quality of instamatic camera prints. (Though they jog one's memory just fine.)
-Scanners that only allow you to generate one output file per scanning.
-Pictures grouped in photo albums from different periods of time.
-Prints that get stuck in photo albums.
.
Mather AFB 1984 (T-37 flight)
.
LSU 1985
.
Colorado 1986 (On the way to California)
.
Last thoughts - getting the photo's is scanned is great and I hope I have the discipline to get them scanned in a timely manner but that is really on the completion of "phase 1". After getting the prints scanned, sorted, and organized I want to start capturing more information for some of the images. The stories behind the photos.
.
Grace & Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home