Sunday, March 19, 2006

Loaves & Fishes

"Come you have my Father's blessing! Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food. I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me. I was ill and you comforted me, in prison and you came to visit me." Matthew 25: 34-36

Tonight our First City Church family hosted a dinner at the Loaves & Fishes shelter in Pensacola, Fl. They have a pretty awesome ministry that we have the privilege of helping with. Tonight we prepared dinner and fed about 70 guests. I don't want to sound pretentious but I really come away blessed by these events. It is so easy to get caught up in my own life, family and job while forgetting that there are many people, for a variety of reasons or choices, that do not have a home to go to, a bed to sleep in, a refridgerator filled with food or much else at all. After talking to and watching these "homeless" people over the past year it is becoming clearer to me that they are living in a sub-culture of our society that is very hard to breakout of without the help of others.

Imagine for a moment that you are standing in the middle of town with no money, no house, no job, no credit, no family or friends, no drivers license, no vehicle, etc... How would you survive? What would you do next? How much hope would you have?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home