Sunday, November 30, 2014

Advent Season 2014 (The Coming)

I find myself on the first Sunday of the 2014 Advent Season reflecting back upon the past few weeks and looking forward to the next four weeks leading up to Christmas Day.
...
The last couple of weeks of November 2014 have been quite full and have encompassed a range of emotions and experiences. A very chaotic but satisfying couple of weeks at work, a most enjoyable charter fishing trip with my father-in-law and two of my brother-in-laws, the tragic news of an untimely death, at his own hand, of a friend and family member, the joy of reconnecting with family and friends at his "Celebration of Life service", walking a 5K with Tammy Thanksgiving morning at Pensacola Beach, enjoying Thanksgiving dinner at my sister Sandy's, decorating our house for the Christmas Season, and celebrating my mom's 81st birthday. 
...
...
Being raised in the Catholic church the Advent tradition was something that I just grew up with. As a child it was a weekly reminder that Christmas Day was slowly approaching week by week. As an adult who oftentimes gets caught up in the world around me I have come to appreciate the way that the Advent Season can refocus my heart and mind during the highly commercialized "Holiday Season". The word "Advent" comes from the Latin adventus, meaning coming or arrival and I like the thought of taking the four weeks leading up to Christmas Day  to reflect upon the 1st arrival of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ almost 2,000 years ago in Bethlehem. I also like considering that our Lord will one day return again, His 2nd coming. Having considered all of this  I find myself asking a question that is posted on the Advent Conspiracy website.

"Can Christmas still change the world?"  

I believe that the answer is a resounding yes!
...
Worship Fully
Spend Less
Give More
Love All
...
Grace & Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home