Wednesday, September 21, 2005

After reading my last blog entry my father sent me an e-mail describing some aspects of his home life during the 30's, 40's and 50's.

My fathers first experience with a phone at home involved the use of a "Party Line". Each home had a particular ring and you knew to answer when your particular ring sounded. Of course anyone else on your circuit could listen in if they wanted to. Imagine today talking on your cell phone knowing that 20 or 30 other people might be listening without your knowledge. He also pointed out that the first T.V. they had in their home was in the early 50's and that there were a few shows on certain days. The radio and phonograph provided most of the

My father also related a few stories about trips to his grandparents house in the country during the 30's. No indoor plumbing, no electricity and no toilet. They used an outhouse that was quite a distance from the house, oil lamps and raised their own pigs and cows. An almost self-sufficient life.

All this makes me wonder briefly about the changes my daughter's living environment will undergo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home