Saturday, July 15, 2006

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

"Flying has always been to me this wonderful metaphor. In order to fly you have to trust that which you can't see." -Richard Bach
"Oh, that I had wings like a dove, for then I would fly away, and be at rest." - Psalms 55:6
F-35 Lightening II

Well the Department of Defense unveiled the F-35 Lightening II last week. I find myself reading about it with rather mixed emotions. I have always loved military aircraft and have always enjoyed touring aviation related museums and reading aviation related books. While the F-35 appears to be an extension of United States dominance in the fighter aircraft world it also seems to spells the end for fighter aircraft diversity. One common fighter for the Air Force (1763), Navy (480) & Marines (480) as well as our allies who wish to purchase them. The United States fighter inventory will eventually be composed of 2700+ F-35s. Air Museums will not need to plan on adding much floor space for future fighter aircraft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home