Sunday, March 18, 2007

Why - Why - Why

Why do I do what I do? - Because we have always done it that way.
Why do I say what I say? - That's what my friends say.
Why do I think what I think? - Because someone told me that once..
Why do I believe what I believe? - My parents believed that.


Why ..........? Because..........

I think that most people, as they travel through life, ask themselves these types of questions fairly frequently but in my own personal experience I find that answering questions like these can be quite difficult, challenging and requiring a form of mental discipline that can be difficult to exercise. These types of questions can lead a person to more questions which can lead the individual deeper into their own mind, beliefs and thoughts. The decision to deliberatly look deeper into one's own thoughts and beliefs can be a very difficult process to start and an even more difficult process to continue much less make a life long practice. I believe though that the process of evaluating ones own thoughts and beliefs is a journey that each of us must embrace and embark on. Really though, each of us has already embarked on this journey but like ships sailing on the ocean some are making way to a specific destination while others are drifting wherever the currents, winds and tides take them. Which type of journey is your life on?

Also, some may ask, "Why bother with such an exercise or journey?" and I would answer "Good answer, enjoy the rest of the journey and let me know what you find."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home