Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Think Differently

"I was going to change my shirt but I changed my mind instead."
- Winnie the Pooh

I was reading the Gospel according to Matthew this past weekend and was struck by what was recorded by the author about the first teachings of Jesus. Soon after Jesus commanded Satan away following the temptations in the desert He went to live in Capernaum and "From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent for the kingdom of heaven is near." - Matthew 4:17

I read in my Vines Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words about the word "repent" as it is used in Matthew 4:17. In the original Greek the word translated as repent is metanoeo the verb form composed of meta or "after" implying a change and noeo "to perceive" signifying a change to ones mind or purpose. I really like the thought that Jesus was calling people to think differently about their lives. If you read what Jesus teaches in Matthew chapter 5 you quickly realize just how differently He wanted people to think.

As humans our actions are an outward expression of our thoughts so a changed mind should reveal itself through changed actions. As followers of Christ if we have a changed mind we should have a changed life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home